We remember the patients and residents of the Public Colonial Lunatic Asylum (1846 – 1852) in South Australia, the Adelaide Lunatic Asylum (1952 – 1902) and the Parkside/Glenside Lunatic Asylum (1870 – 1975).
Those who lived and died in wards for the intellectually disabled, hospital wards and ‘L’ ward for the ‘criminally and mentally insane’, soon renamed to Z ward when the operators realised it sounded like ‘Hell Ward’. In 1958, the hospital’s population was 1,769.
IMAGE: An image of button orchids. The White Flower Memorial logo is placed on the image with the word ‘Parkside’.